Tuesday, March 19, 2013

baby wearing

Yesterday I bought a new baby carrier!  I've been researching and trying different models out for a few months now.  I can't wait until my new carrier gets here, hopefully later this week!   

Since Baby was born, I've been borrowing a friend's Ergo Baby Carrier and have also tried and used a smattering of other carrying options.  I've found that unless I'm planning on running, I really would rather wear Baby in the carrier than put him in a stroller or a grocery cart.  Carrying him is just so much easier for me.  I always know where he is, I don't have to push a stroller around (or carry the stroller downstairs, put it in the car, get it out of the car...), I don't have to find stroller friendly routes, and I always have my hands free.  With the proper carrier, it's also really comfortable for me.

This discovery is slightly surprising to me since "baby wearing", as it is often called, is closely associated with the Attachment Parenting movement.  As a general philosophy I don't really agree with much of the Attachment Parenting movement, but I'm starting to see that even if I don't agree with the entire philosophy, that doesn't mean that everything they endorse is necessarily void of value.

I feel like that has been the story of my adult life, learning that not everything is black and white like I wanted it to be when I was in high school.  This is a perfect example to me of the importance of not being dogmatic in overgeneralizing my feelings towards a specific set of beliefs.  Yes, certainly if I disagree with a philosophy I should take time and think it through before I adopt one of their practices, but it's also foolish to simply write off everything that falls under the broader umbrella of a philosophy I disagree with. 

Have you every written something off because of it's associations? Or I suppose the opposite could be true too-- being too accepting of other ideas before examining them to see how they'd fit into your philosophy of life.  Do you lean towards one or the other?

I'm glad I didn't ignore the idea of baby wearing since it turns out it fits our needs and lifestyle quite nicely.

5 comments:

Marianne said...

I'd have to agree. :) I'm not into attachment parenting, but baby wearing can sure make life simpler. The Ergo was my favorite, but I never tried the Boba.

Rebecca said...

Yes! Sometimes babies just need to be held at the same time you need your hands, and baby wearing is the perfect solution.

After using the Boba for a week or so, I'm not sure I like it much better than the Ergo. I like that you don't need an infant insert for tiny babies, but there are just a few other little things that I think I liked better on the Ergo. Hard to know whether it's just because I was used to the Ergo though! ;)

Anonymous said...

I am definitely a baby wearer as well and it made me so sad when Lizzie got to the point where she just wanted to be mobile and not confined to a carrier anymore! I have an Ergo I found for a great price but have heard good things about the Boba too. I have tried wearing the three month old I am babysitting and he hates it-- maybe because his parents don't do it at home-- but it sure would make life easier when he just wants to be held!

Rebecca said...

That's great that you were able to find the Ergo for a good price-- the carriers can be so pricey.
I wish I could let you borrow my Baby Bjorn for the three month old you watch. My baby really did not like the Ergo at all until he was about 5 months old and could comfortably sit in the Ergo without the insert, but he didn't mind the Bjorn at all. Maybe he'll like the Ergo later?

mary said...

Thanks! Actually, I have a Bjorn I got off Craigslist when Lizzie was born and that is the only thing I have tried him in so far since it starts at a smaller weight. Maybe when he is big enough to be turned around in it, he'll be happy. We moved just as Lizzie turned 5 months old and I don't know how I would have packed up our house and unpacked here if it hadn't been for the Bjorn and Ergo!